Saturday, May 23, 2009

Jesus says, "Come!"

My old friend, Jack Miller pointed me toward the book of Matthew in an email earlier this week, to a story that I've read 100's of times over my life but never let it sink deep into my heart.....

Matthew 14
Jesus had sent the disciples out in the boat while He went alone to pray and then He came walking to them on the water which scared the living daylights out of the disciples until He told them who He was.
v28 Peter said to Him, "Lord if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." v29 And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus.
v30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" v31 Immediately, Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"

Now I'm going to add Jack's own words here:
I have seen this scripture differently than before, because this time when I read it it becomes more clear that God fixes everything if we do it his way, and just "COME." Its always a heart issue. Later on in Matt. 19: 26 Jesus states; "And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Isn't it amazing how a person's heart can stop the God of the universe from achieving His will in our lives?

When my kids were little, I would often run to stop them from doing something that would hurt them. And now that they are adults, I would like to do the same. I watch and think, "Oh no, please don't do that, you're going to get hurt." But, now that they're older, I can't force my will on them. I can only watch. It makes me think of how often the Lord must look at me and think, "please don't do that, you're going to get hurt." But, just as my kids have the freedom to do as they please, the God of the universe grants me the same freedom. I know how badly I hurt when my kids are busy hurting themselves. Oh, how our Father in heaven must weep over me as well.

Lord, I don't want to make You weep. When You say, "Come." I want to come - simply trusting You even though it looks humanly impossible. I choose to trust You, believing Your Word and refusing to let the enemy of old cause me to sink because I'm looking around at the circumstances and consumed by fear! NO! I choose to look at You and keep walking forward. AMEN!

2 comments:

  1. Kris, thank you SO much. This could not have been more timely for me!! God knew. Thanks for inviting me to your blog. I love it and love hearing from you again. Looking forward to more. Thanks again. Sheryl Russo

    russosfour@yahoo.com
    greenjeandesigns.com (under contruction-need help) :@

    ReplyDelete