Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Bait of Satan - Offense

I am reading a book called The Bait of Satan by John Bevere. My daughter-in-love, Erin told me about it a few months ago - I think her brother Ross had read it. And then, when I was in New Orleans in March, my roommate, Jeri Lynn told me how it had impacted her life. So, while I was there, I picked up a copy. You'll notice that I have already added it to my list of Life-Changing Books - even though I am not finished with it yet. It's amazing - go get it and read it!

I was struck by something right off the bat - in the Preface, no less! The apostles traveled with Jesus for 3 years and witnessed many miracles - blind men could see, lame men could walk, a woman that bled for years healed, demons cast out, the sea calmed at His command and Lazarus raised from the dead! Incredible miracles that they somehow seemed to take in stride. But, when Jesus commanded them to forgive someone that had wronged them, they questioned it. How many times do we need to forgive? And when he basically answered - "every time." They responded "increase our faith" (Luke 17:3-5). This was the thing that stopped them in their tracks and gave them doubts. Forgiving after you've been offended, even in the light of all they had seen Jesus do, looked like too big an order and they were going to need some help.

We know that our old enemy, Satan is continually roaming the earth looking for who he can devour. He sets traps to lure us in and one of his favorite kinds of bait is something we all encounter - offense. Here's a quote from the book in the introduction, page 2.

Offended people produce much fruit, such as hurt, anger, outrage, jealousy, resentment, strife, bitterness, hatred, and envy. Some of the consequences of picking up an offense are insults, attacks, wounding, division, separation, broken relationships, betrayal, and backsliding......So many are snared in this deceptive trap that we have almost come to believe it is a normal way of life.

As I've been reading, I have been brought face-to-face with some offenses that continue to plague me after many years. They haven't really stopped me dead in my tracks - but, they have kept some areas of my life closed off and I have to admit - there is bitterness.

Dear Lord, search me and show me and make me willing to shed these chains of offense so that I can bring glory to You and serve you fully. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment