Sunday, May 3, 2009

1 John 1

I started a new Bible Study for women at IBC today - on 1 John. I figure the Lord must have some things to teach me in this book because - since starting this study - I have read and heard passages from this book coming at me from all directions this past week. Today, in the sermon this morning and just now - in the book I am reading "Breakthrough Prayer" by Jim Cymbala.

From my first lesson in 1 John, I learned quite a few things already:

  • The apostle John wrote this letter so that we can know for certain that we have eternal life. From Cymbala's book - "God wants us to feel secure regarding our relationship with Him. He wants us to know with certainty that we posses eternal life as part of His family. This security and knowledge is significant because doubts and insecurity will grieve the Father's heart and hinder our ability to live victoriously. Because we are God's children, then, we can bring our needs to Him with certainty in prayer. We can have the same confidence in asking for things as we have about our salvation." AMEN!!
  • John was an eyewitness of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He was a close companion of Jesus. What John has written is inspired by God and without error. We can trust this book.
  • God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. If there is darkness, fear, evil, bitterness, spite, anger - it is not of God - He is only light.
  • When I walk in the light - living life in such a way that pleases God, it is not for my credit - it is to bring glory to God.
  • I'm a sinner. Period. But, when I confess my sins to Him....HE is faithful and forgives me and cleanses me from all my garbage. Thank You, Lord!
From the Sermon this morning by Tim Plona.....1 John 1:8-9 gives us a new cycle to live by for recovery from sin:

My part:
  • Admit I am sinning
  • Stop the sin
  • Confess the sin to the Lord
Gods part:
  • He forgives me
  • He cleanses me
Instead of continuing on in my cycle of sin over and over again.....STOP the cycle and by God's grace begin anew! YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment